How To Care For Your Extensions
We are pleased that you have purchased Amoy Couture Hair Extensions. Our hair is 100% Virgin Human Hair, the highest grade of human hair, and can be removed and reapplied up to 3 times with proper care. The integrity of the hair depends on how well you care for it in between maintenance appointments. Use the following tips as a guide to properly care for and maintain your new hair.
Maximize the Life of Your Extensions
- Be gentle. Be as delicate as possible, especially when brushing and shampooing, to avoid unnecessary shedding and tangling.
- Moisturize. Use products that are extra moisturizing and free of alcohol which dries out the hair. We carry products that specifically formulated for natural hair extensions, including the Amoy Couture product line.
- Maintain. Your extensions will “grow” along with your natural hair, so it’s important to come in for all recommended maintenance to keep your bonds invisible and avoid damage to your hair.
Washing Your Hair Extensions
- Always brush your hair thoroughly before shampooing to remove any tangles.
- Gently lather your shampoo with your fingers using a horizontal or downward motion. Do not scrub your hair up and down as this can damage your bonds.
- Shampoo in between your wefts and help clean the scalp with our Amoy Couture Weave Scratcher.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with the same horizontal motion, being sure to rinse all shampoo residue before conditioning. Apply conditioner with a downward motion and massage into the hair using a horizontal motion. Rinse thoroughly.
- After the gym or workout, rinse your hair with water. You don’t have to shampoo, but you should always apply a conditioner. Rinse thoroughly.
- Once a week, apply a deep conditioning treatment. Keeping your extensions moisturized will keep them looking good and it will prolong their life.
- Let your hair air dry or use a blow dryer along with a heat protectant.
Drying and Styling Your Hair
- Before using a blow dryer, curling iron or flat iron, apply a heat protectant first. High heat can damage the hair but applying a protective serum can prevent breakage and avoid damage to the cuticle.
- Brush the hair with a boar’s bristle brush to evenly distribute natural oils throughout the hair. We love Mason Pearson and Denman brushes.
Sleeping with Your Extensions
- Never sleep with wet or damp hair.
- To avoid tangling, braid, wrap or gently tie back your hair. Never sleep with your hair loose.
- Use a satin pillowcase, or wrap your hair in a satin scarf, as cotton will absorb moisture and dry out your hair.
- Your extensions will get split ends just like your natural hair, so plan to have your ends trimmed every 9-10 weeks.
- You will need to have your extensions removed and reapplied every 10-12 weeks. Wearing your extensions for extended periods of time without adjustment can lead to matting and permanent damage to your extensions.